Forward!
You believe we’re broke. I believe we live in one of the wealthiest nations on earth.
You believe public employees don’t deserve good health and retirement benefits. I believe everyone deserves good health and retirement benefits.
You believe it’s okay to silence your opponents. I believe everyone’s voice should be heard.
You believe might makes right. I believe a bully is a bully, whether he’s an angry kid on a playground or an angry man in a suit.
You believe government should be vilified, belittled and shackled. I believe government is the only institution in the world in which we can all share and participate equally.
You believe in every man for himself. I believe we are better and stronger when we work together.
You believe “we can’t…” I believe “We can. We must. We will!”
And so, in this time and place, I plant my flag and make my statement. With all the fervor and strength I can muster I tell you now,

YOU CANNOT HAVE MY STATE!

There is room in this world for honest disagreements. There is room for differing policy views and different world views. But there is no place in this state, in this world, for the behavior you have chosen. There is no place for those who would trample the rights of anyone, be they in the minority or the majority. There is no place for those who would hide from the voice of the people behind armed authority . There is no place for those who would serve the interests of wealthy corporations ahead of the poor or disadvantaged. There is no place for those who would say “We have nothing to discuss.”

I did not ask for this fight. But you have brought it to my home, so fight I will. I will not allow you to create the ugly, selfish, hateful world of your vision. We are better human beings than that. While your world view insists that self-interest is the way forward, my world view rests on the power of community.

The new day starts now. We are going to clean house. Your power derives solely from the consent of the governed, and we no longer consent to be treated as your subjects. Your experiment is over…

YOU CANNOT HAVE MY STATE!

Dennis Deery
March 11, 2011

PDF version of You Cannot Have My State

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License You have the right to copy, distribute and remix this work. An attribution for source is appreciated, but NOT necessary.
Comments (74)

74 Comments »

1. Dennis
    I applaud your declaration and find myself mentally creating one of my own. I suspect we might benefit individually and as a nation if more of us took time to clarify what we stand for, shared our authentic proclamations with one another bravely while remaining willing to listen as others shared their heart-felt beliefs, and then engaged purposefully and passionately in an exchange of ideas with curiosity. Thank you for initiating this necessary and long-overdue conversation.
    Hugs and blessings,

Comment by Virginia — April 6, 2011 @ 5:12 pm

2. P.S. were are you getting these bologna figures…Faux news..?

Comment by LW — April 6, 2011 @ 5:15 pm

• * Where

Comment by Jayne — April 12, 2011 @ 7:57 pm

3. Unions receive their monies from the workers who are members of the union. The workers, you know those wealthy police officers, firefighters, the nurses, sanitary workers, librarians, sewer and water maintenance crews, state troopers, et al. These people are our neighbors, their children play with ours. They banded together to collectively bargain with management for better working conditions, fair pay and health benefits, etc. And guess what? Management and labor agreed to a CONTRACT on the issues that were negotiated in good faith.

And according to the law, unions have the right to donate to the candidates of their choice just like the billionaire Koch brothers, the US Chamber of Commerce and the rich Wall Street bankers who drove our economy almost off a cliff in 2008, not union workers.

So it’s bad when workers donate to candidates whom they want to champion their causes, but somehow it is fine and dandy when the most wealthiest amongst us do the exact same thing? That type of thinking is labled hypocritical in anyone’s book.

If anyone thinks that the amount of money unions donate to candidates and the amount of money billionaires donate to candidates is the same, obviously they don’t understand basic economics. The people who receive a pay check are being compared to the people who sign the pay check. Now who has the most money?

Comment by Michael7 — April 6, 2011 @ 5:16 pm

4. To AKOC:

Obviously you don’t know any teachers. Well, I have 3 in my family. Two of them work in Wisconsin and none of them are rich. They don’t have big houses or drive fancy cars. You need a reality check. You diss the unions for supporting Democrats, but I don’t hear you dissing the Republicans from getting their money from big corporations or rich people and then giving them tax breaks. Walker took money from a pair of rich brothers who don’t even live in our state.
    Maybe you would like to go back to way things were before unions – you know: no benefits, no health insurance, no 40 hour week, poor working conditions and the list goes on. Get informed before making such stupid comments. Your lack of education is showing.

Comment by Debbie — April 6, 2011 @ 6:03 pm

5. I think it’s pretty simple, just take the money out of politics and remove the lobeists and spend the tax money that we already pay on what it was intended for and everything else will take care of it’s self. just my two cents worth.

Comment by Skip Hale — April 6, 2011 @ 9:47 pm

• Skip, you are spot on.

Comment by Amy Pietsch — April 13, 2011 @ 5:13 am